Friday, April 5, 2013

Depth of Mercy

Depth of mercy! Can there be
Mercy still reserved for me?
Can my God His wrath forbear,
Me, the chief of sinners, spare?
I have long withstood His grace,
Long provoked Him to His face,
Would not hearken to His calls,
Grieved Him by a thousand falls.

I have spilt His precious blood,
Trampled on the Son of God,
Filled with sorrow and regret
Still His mercy seeks me yet
I my Master have denied,
Him afresh have crucified,
And profaned His hallowed Name,
Put Him to an open shame.

Why to me this waste of love?
Ask my Advocate above!
See the cause in Jesus' face,
Pleading at the throne of grace.
Jesus speaks and pleads His blood
He disarms the wrath of God
Now the Father's mercies move
Justice bows to gracious love.

Now for me the Savior stands
Shows His wounds and spreads His hands
God is love! I know, I feel
Jesus weeps and loves me still
Lord, incline me to repent
May I now my sins lament
Now my foul revolt deplore
Weep, believe, and sin no more

Lead sheet in C
Lead sheet for guitar capo 5th fret

Words by Charles Wesley (revised by Walt Harrah)
Sung to hymn tune EVERLASTING LOVE (7.7.7.7.D.)

No comments:

Post a Comment